4 April 2011

Lady Gaga as Creative director for Polaroid

Lady Gaga signed up as Polaroid’s creative director in 2010 and recently unveiled the first prototypes from the resulting Grey Label by Haus of Gaga line at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas.
In a quote from lady Gaga she says that ‘I consider myself to be a visionary, not just a song writer and a singer. I am an artist; I brought my vision and love of fashion, technology and obsession with the future into all of my work with Polaroid”
I think that lady Gaga’s new gadgets for Polaroid are just that, gadgets without much purpose or practicality although there may be a need in the market for such items as a portable printer although it is still limited as it can only print a few images and, how often do the majority people of the target market print photographs when its free to upload and share them through the internet? So I predict the novelty of these new gadgets will soon wear thin although the popularity that Lady Gaga attracts should have a positive effect on the selling these products in our celebrity obsessed culture. It’s our culture that puts paparazzi images on top of the price list when compared to artistic photography works it’s like a complementary relationship between pap and celebrity, as the photographs the pap’s take will boost their exposure to the public although it may not always be a good thing, I know I certainly wouldn’t want every move I make to be recorded. So overall it’s a smart move for Polaroid to make an extremely popular celebrity their creative director, as there is no doubt that people will know these products as the ‘Gaga’ printer, glasses, and camera.
Research:

1 comment: